Exclusive discounts for unpaid carers
Date Added: 23/11/2015
Central Bedfordshire Council is supporting Carers’ Rights Day today (20 November) by promoting a new Carers’ Discount Card which is designed to help unpaid family carers save money.
An astonishing one in ten adults in the UK is a carer and up to 60,000 of them make up Bedfordshire’s caring community. With many of those carers looking after a loved one without asking anything in return Central Bedfordshire Council is hoping the Carers’ Discount Card scheme will help them out.
With more than 50 businesses signed up, this scheme offers carers access to a range of discounts at businesses, including hairdressers, cafes, garages, legal services and leisure opportunities like Butlins and Haven holidays.
People are eligible even if they access care-related benefits like Carers Allowance, including young carers, but not if they are employed as a carer.
The exclusive card scheme is offered by Carers in Bedfordshire, with support from the council.
Carers can apply online at www.carersinbeds.org.uk/ by filling out the application form, or can attend one of the events targeted at carers in the coming weeks where they can get a card there and then if they are a registered carer.
• 23 November – Carers Café at Flitwick & Ampthill Sea Cadet Unit, Althorp Close, Flitwick, MK45 1HY between 13.00 – 16.00
• 24 November – Houghton Regis Library, Bedford Square, Houghton Regis, LU5 5ES between 13.00 – 15.00
• 25 November – Dementia Gateway at Bedford Square Community Centre, Houghton Regis between 10.00 – 12.30
• 26 November – Carers Forum at Dunstable Community Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable, LU6 1AA between 10.00 – 14.30 pm
• 10 December - Leighton Buzzard Carers Drop In at Arden House, West Street, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 1DD between 10.00 – 12.00 pm
• 17 December – Carers Café at Arden House, West Street, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 1DD between 13.00 – 16.00 pm
Cllr Carole Hegley, Executive Member for Social Care and Housing, said: “Here in Central Bedfordshire we recognise the significant contribution that carers make to the well being of service users and residents. The card is a great opportunity to support carers and we’re delighted that so many businesses wanted to get on board and show their support too.
“If you think you might be eligible, or someone you know, then please do apply. If you’re an unregistered carer, this would be a great opportunity to get in touch and see what other support is available too.”
For more information about the discount card, if you are or know any unpaid carers who would like to sign up or if you know any businesses that would like to register please visit www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/carers You can also contact Carers in Beds on 0300 111 1919 or by email: [email protected]